Department of Food Technology and Hospitality
The Department of Food Technology and Hospitality (FTH) used to be called Department of Hotel, Catering and Institutional Management. This change of name was necessitated by the fact that, the department is expanding and will soon begin the running of programmes in Food Technology as well as diverse areas that concern the Hospitality industry. Globally the Hospitality Industry, which encompasses tourism, catering, lodging, events management, transportation, among others has seen immense growth.
Ghana is not an exception and this has necessitated the need for qualified personnel to manage the sector efficiently and effectively.
The Department has developed a 4-year BTech Food Techonology and is awaiting accreditation.
To be internationally recognized as a Centre for training people for the agro business and Hospitality and Tourism industries for effective job performance.
The principal objective of the Department is to train high caliber practically oriented middle and high level manpower for the food processing and Hospitality and Tourism industries in operational, management and decision–making to:
- Process and preserve food to combat post-harvest losses
- Manage and supervise all establishments within the Food and Beverage sectors,
- Help manage and supervise activities in the Hotel industry,
- Develop both traditional and continental cuisine,
- Innovate products from local commodities for project work admissible to the Food and Beverage Sector, and
- Acquire entrepreneurial skills to establish businesses.